It’s been a while. A month. What’s happened in a month - sure doesn’t feel like much.
My initial thought was to just upgrade to the Desser 21” tires. But, after poking around I decided to drop that decision
and just go to the big boys. Well, to the Airstreak 2.0 26” tires that is. Screw it right? I’m just going to get what I
really want and not look back. Project is already close to being over budget and at this point. Why be upset with the
decision, waste the money and then just upgrade a few months later.
Disappointment and delay. I said last time I was waiting on some answers from local MDRA inspectors. Well, things are
totally up in the air right now.
While I’m waiting on some answers about the Oratex requirements by the MDRA I’ve moved on to more pre-work for covering.
The wings and other surfaces needed much more prep work to really smooth out the transitions and attachment areas. A lot
more superfil and sanding was done. Additionally, all areas that would require glue were preped with primer and then
lightly sanded as per the documentation for Oratex glue. I really think the effort is going to pay off.
Well, another big step. All the avionics were ordered. As I’m sure every builder can a-test to, it’s a hard decision
what to get. You can build a panel from as low as maybe 5k up to 30k plus (very quickly). Me, being me, always
wants the best and latest gear.
So the last few days have gone great. A bit nerve racking dealing with Oratex for the first time. But, that said, I’m
100% more confident already. It’s not as scary as you think and much more forgiving as well. Although, don’t get me
wrong, it’s still easy to mess up if you have glue in the wrong place or don’t plan out the shrinking.
Well, it’s been almost a month already. Boy does time fly when you realize there’s still A LOT of prep work before
covering can begin.
Well, it’s a big day here. My first inspection by the local MDRA. This is the pre-cover inspection. It was rather
uneventful, which is good. Everything went smooth and I have the thumbs up to move ahead with covering. Super excited!
The only think I need to do is provide pictures of the final pitot tube plumbing before it’s covered since there will
be no access without cutting an access hole.
Well, it’s a new year. I’m looking forward to the next big steps on this build and getting in the air. There’s still
a ways to go, but just finishing up for the first big step.
Things have been moving along the last few weeks and this is likely the last bit of work until the new year.