Floor boards & More

October 30, 2018

Well, more progress is always great. I’m aiming to get my pre-cover inspection by MD-RA here in Canada in the next 2-3 weeks. I think that would be a big step.

So, what have I gotten done…First I’ve been playing around with the floor boards. I’ve gone with ABS over the balsa. I tried some different arrangements of cuts, but decided the best is the original pattern. It came out awesome in my opinion. It has a little less strength lengthwise where the console side attaches, but some thin angle and hysol makes it super strong. It’s slightly heaver by a few ounces, but should last longer. It’ll be wet a lot given I’ll be doing a lot of winter flying.

alt text

I also got the fiberglass piece back on the tail. I was happy after removal that it went back on fine. It’s not perfectly straight (as in it’s a bit wavy from the heat when I removed it).

Most of the work has been on the wings. I noticed that several of my capstrips were warped. At this point there was no way to pull them out. So, a little heat and a little love and they were separated and twisted back straight and level. Some hysol to bond it all back together and we were good. I’ll admin, it was a bit scary to hear crack as they were twisted and pulled into place.

alt text

All the top and bottom false ribs were hysoled in.

alt text

Next the tanks. These are the newer tanks and not original from the kit. 2017 date on them I believe. Had to chase the threads in the fittings to clean them up. They were not perfectly straight, but not much can be done about that. Did the leak check by blowing and then cleaned them out with that nasty stuff several times. Pretty dirty in there. Next all the fittings where added and the site gauge bent. We connected the tanks, filled them up partially and let it sit for a few days - just to make damn sure there was no leaks. One annoying thing is that the caps don’t sit straight when on, i’ll have to re-weld them as it’s just going to annoy me too much.

alt text

Continued on to the trailing edge. Here I learned the there are 3 kinds of aviation snipers… and I only owned the shitty yellow (straight) ones. Off to the store.

alt text

Tanks were ready and wings were ready, so in they went. I did remember to varnish the ribs before putting the tanks in. Phewf. Also had to do a bit of trimming as the tank edges were far from straight or square.

alt text